Thursday, January 14, 2010

Office Hours with the Publican?

I've been thinking about a new weekly feature at the Pizzeria & Public House, to be called "Office Hours with the Publican."

On Monday evenings, for at least an hour, I'd conduct a themed beer tasting and discussion. The sessions would take place in the Prost area, and topics would vary, probably fairly wildly, with the idea being a weekly beer class without a formal syllabus. This way, there's no organized progression toward a goal, just the fun of learning something each week. Some topics will be known in advance and posted. Other times, it'll be dealer's choice, and we'll be bound only by the availability of beer samples.

Examples off the top of my head:

Pilsners That Don't Suck
Let's Sample Some Vintage Stone Brewing Co. Beers
Style In Depth: Porter
How We Arrived at Bonfire of the Valkyries

And so on. There'd be no formal structure to attending Office Hours. You'd be charged a nominal fee (circa $10, sometimes more depending on the beers we drink) to pay for samples and a server on duty, and you could drink and dine on your dime during the session and after it. If I couldn't be there, I'd arrange for a substitute carnival barker.

Any thoughts?

Would you come just once a month to something like this?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I'd do that -- personally, maybe once a month or every couple of months.

Tovrax said...

This is the way you fight the goofy "pint nights".

Yes.

I'd be there once a month.

Sean said...

I'm in! Sounds great!