Saturday, February 09, 2013

Notes from a beer dinner at Varanese.

Knowing that night two of last week's NABC beer dinners at Varanese was going to be huge, and that with less time to speak, I'd have to say more in the space allotted, I packed a cheat sheet -- or as I call it, a set list. It also was an unprecedented opportunity to eat the same meal two nights in a row, meaning that on night number two, I could drop prescient pairing hints and summarize previous courses more succinctly. Here are the points we covered. It went well, indeed.

---

February 7 Beer Dinner, NABC at Varanese

Props to Varanese, thanks to all

Opening quote:
“Art can never take the place of social action, but its task remains forever the same: to change consciousness.”
-- Amos Vogel, in “Film as a Subversive Art”

The craft beer mandate definitely is local: Economic localism; community building and placemaking; sheer creativity up from the grassroots, not from big corporations down

It’s important to keep craft as craft, something genuine. Craft beer is a rebellion against brewing multinationals. It doesn’t belong to them. It belongs to us.

Hoosier Daddy
NABC history

Black & Blue Grass
Brewing process, ale as opposed to lager
Good spicy counterpoint to the quail and onion ring batter

Elector
The 2002 election
Salty bacon pairs with malt, lemon vinegarette and bitter greens modify hops

Hoptimus
Imperials always are bigger
Big beer for cutting through the big meat flavors, toasted barley a rare, nice touch

Solidarity
Baltic Porter, English idea. German brewing technique = different style
Look for the way the mandarin orange goes with Solidarity

Tunnel Vision
Royal Wallonian back story

Quote to close
"The Parting Glass" … Irish/Scottish/Newfoundland song, predates "Auld Lang Syne"; great version by Luke Kelly and/or Dubliners

Of all the money that e'er I spent
I've spent it in good company
And all the harm that ever I did
Alas it was to none but me
And all I've done for want of wit
To memory now I can't recall
So fill to me the parting glass
Good night and joy be with you all

No comments: