Friday, June 12, 2015

These requests from abroad, Vol. 14: "With best wishes from Russia, Alexander."


If you own or work for a brewery, you've probably fielded numerous e-mail inquiries from overseas asking for beer labels, crown caps and the like, as destined to become the cherished keepsakes of private collectors from just about anywhere -- although it seems that most of them live somewhere around eastern and central Europe.

To me, there is something compelling and yet haunting about these foreign requests, places of longtime personal interest to me both historically and geographically. I've been in or near many of them. They speak vividly to my inner melancholic. Lately, I've been pasting their addresses into Google Map and seeing what their places of residence look like.

After all, they can look at my business via the same technology, and it seems only fair for me to see where they live, so very far away. Especially coming from European locales, these are images that speak powerfully to me, conjuring memories of places I've been, people I've met ... and beers I've consumed.

Alexander lives in Tyumen, Russia. 


Tyumen is another of those big Russian cities that none of us in America is aware exists. The city lies roughly 250 miles north of Kazakhstan, occupies 90 square miles, and has a population of more than 600,000 people.

Tyumen was the first Russian settlement in Siberia. Founded in 1586 to support Russia's eastward expansion, the city has remained one of the most important industrial and economic centers east of the Ural Mountains. Located at the junction of several important trade routes and with easy access to navigable waterways, Tyumen rapidly developed from a small military settlement to a large commercial and industrial city. The central part of Old Tyumen retains many historic buildings from throughout the city's history.

Judging from the Google Map views, Alexander's area of residence is fairly typical of the newer Tyumen suburbs. He is admirably polite in making his request.
My name is Alexander, I have long been interested in the history of brewing and I have a very fascinating hobby, I collect beer coasters and beer caps. I would be very grateful if you could help me supplement my collection. I hope this is possible, and that my request will not bring you inconvenience.

There's a chain brewery restaurant in Tyumen.


Maximilian's Brauerei's slogan is "Happiness Is Where We Are,"

Each Maximilian’s Restaurant is actually a little brew house, that’s why the name – Maximilian’s Brauerei where German ‘brauerei’ means ‘brew house’ rather than ‘restaurant’. This is what makes Maximilian’s different from other beer restaurants: beer is brewed right in front of you while you’re sitting comfortably at the bar.

The other Russian branches of Maximilian's are Naberezhnye Chelny, Kazan, Samara, Yekaterinburg, Chelyabinsk, Ufa, Novosibirsk and Krasnoyarsk.

Alexander lives in Tyumen, and Tyumen is very far away. That's all I have for now.

No comments: