Thursday, May 08, 2014

German Cafe has moved from Paoli to French Lick.


To be truthful, I wish they'd moved here to New Albany. The posting was at the Louisville Restaurants Forum.

We just learned that the German Cafe, formerly of Paoli, In, has moved to French Lick. Same family is running the business and operating the kitchen.

A subsequent comment verified this information and reported that a visit to the new location had been quite enjoyable. It's great to hear this. I've likened German Cafe to that restaurant near the center of every German town of similar size, with fine traditional food and beer, and acting as a community hub.

Back in May of 2012, my friend Shane Campbell wrote a review of German Cafe, as it was then, in Paoli, and much of what Shane wrote will be applicable to the new location in French Lick.

Review: The German Cafe.

I've eaten at Erika's and the Gasthaus in Louisville. I've sought out German restaurants in areas with large German communities in Wisconsin, Texas, and even Jasper, Indiana. I've even had a few meals in Germany. While I can't ever remember having any bad meals at a German restaurant, I certainly know that I've never had a better one than I had in the German Cafe in Paoli that Saturday.

Here's the listing at French Lick's tourism site:

German Café
Address: 452 South Maple Street, French Lick
Phone: 812-936-1111
Journey through the fine cuisines of Germany. All dinners are made fresh and cooked to order. Daily lunch and dinner specials including vegetarian dishes. Extensive German beer and wine selection. Relax and enjoy an authentic German dining experience. Guten Appetit! Private parties and groups welcome.

1 comment:

Iamhoosier said...

Road trip.