Tuesday, October 23, 2007

One afternoon with the Wort Hogs.

There was a Wort Hog Club tasting at BBC (Shelbyville Road) on Sunday afternoon, and for the first time in years, I was able to attend. It was a gorgeous autumn afternoon, and I perched on a stool at my old favorite corner by the door to the patio and felt the fresh breeze.

Professor Gesser suggested brewmaster Jerry Gnagy's Anvil Steam for my first beer of the session, and it remains perhaps my favorite rotating selection of Jerry's. A plate of chicken wings soon arrived, and devoured them while chatting with Sam, who recently began a part-time tour in the brewhouse assisting Jerry and Cameron, and who hopes someday to brew commercially on his own.

Soon it was time for samples of four bottled Weyerbacher beers and four Victory Brewing Company beers, both brewed in Pennsylvania and brought to the tasting by a diligent Wort Hog.

Victory's Prima Pils whetted my appetite for Jerry's house Pilsner, and it was marvelous. Note that his blog is immensely entertaining: (Never Trust) The Sober Brewer.

All in all, it was a beautiful afternoon in St. Matthews, and one that reminded me of old times.

No comments: