Saturday, March 10, 2007

Another amazing Gravity Head opening night.


Once and for all, and for the record – I won’t be saying it again – it was not Dave Siltz’s idea last year to hold an event called DaveFest in his honor.

I am the Publican, the buck generally starts and stops with me, and DaveFest was my idea from the beginning. Dave graciously agreed to it, and the notion has been extended to include SteveFest in 2007.

Is that clear? Good.

The reason I bring it up again is that last evening, at the conclusion of a very long opening day of Gravity Head 2007, the very same Dave gave me a lift home, we stopped at White Castle along the way, and a better conclusion to an exhausting week than jalapeno cheeseburgers with a chocolate shake cannot be imagined. Better than steak, raw herring or couscous. Perhaps better even than the 4:00 a.m. shoarma at the Israeli place in Haarlem two weeks ago.

Read Dave’s recap of the evening here.

Big thanks to all the people who turned out on opening night. It’s always a fascinating dynamic to observe as the day wears on, with the earnestness of early beer critiques yielding gradually to predictable mayhem at evening’s end. I love it.

To be perfectly candid, I loved it a bit too much yesterday; even little nips of a lineup averaging 11% abv add up to a lot when all is said and done. That’s why my truck is parked at work, and it’s time to arrange a ride back and dive into it for a second day.

No comments: