Wednesday, August 12, 2015

R.I.P. Fred Eckhardt.

I'm very fortunate to have met Fred Eckhardt, if only briefly. It would have been during my first of three visits to Denver for the Great American Beer Festival, circa 1995.

Someone was sponsoring a vintage Alaskan Smoked Porter tasting, and I got through the door -- how isn't clear at this late date -- and there were brewers, beer peeps, writers and just plain folks in attendance. Eckhardt was one of them, and somehow I was seated with him at a table.

Mercifully, it was the pre-smart-phone era, and with no pressing need to photograph every sampled pour from bottles that for the most part looked exactly alike, most of my time was spent listening in the hope of learning something.

Eckhardt was in full educational mode, involving total strangers in the give and take, and when it was over, I asked his opinion: What's the most influential beer you've had at the GABFs you've attended?

His answer: Goose Island Bourbon County Stout.

R.I.P. Fred Eckhardt 1926-2015 (Brookston Beer Bulletin)

No comments: