Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Gary Spedding of Brewing and Distilling Analytical Services on the Craft Writing symposium.

(photo credit to Oliver Gray)

For me, one of the most outstanding moments of the past weekend's Craft Writing symposium in Lexington came when Jeremy Cowan made a humorous reference to his academic weaknesses, math and science. These mirror my own lifelong shortcomings, and now I know I'm not alone among brewery owners.

Jeremy's major is English, mine Philosophy. Thus we plausibly lay claim to shtick, not chemical processes, although after hearing Jeremy's presentation, surely there's a great deal of chemistry to shtick.

Representing the polar opposite (not vortex) of my state is Gary Spedding, whom I had the pleasure of meeting after the show. But not only does he "get" the math and science, he writes wonderfully, too ... as you'll soon see (below). Gary is this guy:

Biochemist Gary Spedding, Ph.D. started in Brewing Analytical work nearly 14 years ago in Chicago at the Oldest Brewing School in the US. Following a move to Kentucky, and learning Distilling Analytical methods, Gary founded Brewing and Distilling Analytical Services (BDAS, LLC) in December 2002 and commenced full operations in May 2003.

Gary's company is Brewing and Distilling Analytical Services, LLC (official website), which also is on Facebook, where Gary published the following symposium review. Many thanks to him for allowing this reprint.

---

A brief review of the Craft Writing Seminar at UK – February 15th.

First, hats off to the University of Kentucky (and other groups) for sponsoring and covering the expenses of this excellent one-day symposium on writing in general and Craft Beer Writing in particular, as arranged by Dr. Jeff Rice of UK. We learned about good writing and the power of story here, and much more besides.

For those beer and other alcoholic beverage aficionados who could not attend or missed for other reasons, here is a snapshot of details. I'll break it down in order of speaker presentations.

Author Stan Hieronymous (Brew Like a Monk, Brewing with Wheat and For the Love of Hops amongst several other books and key works) spoke to us about Communication in the “New World,” and certainly enlightened me on sites that should be consulted by those interested in beer writing, collection and storage of that information and where to find the good stories. I have known Stan for a few years, mainly on a “hello, how are you basis” at various meetings; now, after having him stop by and tour our lab, I feel I know much more about him and his breadth of knowledge on the beer and brewing culture. His presentation will be online at his blog: http://appellationbeer.com/blog/

Following Stan was Julie Johnson of All About Beer fame, writer and (in my opinion) historian of the craft brewing since the 1970s. She spoke on the first 10 years of craft brewing news. Again, I had met Julie a couple times over the years, but we spoke about the American Homebrewers Association* as they were back in 1986-88, and the lack of recorded historical data from those early years. If I remember correctly it was the 1987 meeting in Boulder with the Brewers Tasting hall not much bigger than the auditorium venue yesterday, and the attendees who voted for the best beers there. I remember one “13th Colony Amber Beer” was my favorite (unless I have dreamt that since – I am now getting old and short in memory). Yet no one ANYWHERE can tell me if I am right and if that beer really ever existed, and if so, who made it. Anyone from the 13th Colony enlighten the brewing world with a neat story regarding that beer and brewery? Or debunk the myth (in my mind) that it ever existed?

Before a good lunch, the final morning speaker was a friend of mine from many years, Teri Fahrendorf, who talked about creating communities out of thin air. Her neat road trip journey was recounted with respect to social media storytelling and the rise of knowledge about women brewers in particular. Think about the Pink Boots Society if you are a lady involved in any adventure of paid brewing employment. Teri had visited our old lab (in my basement) many years back, and I got to show her the new facilities and instruments before the evening sessions of entertainment at our local breweries began. Thanks, Teri.

The afternoon began with a couple talks with a bit more of a controversial bent, and some twists and tales. We heard from someone I am sad to say I did not know of before but will be following more closely on: http://potablecurmudgeon.blogspot.com/.

Roger Baylor from New Albanian Brewing (I have not visited them yet but knew the name and believe their brewer is a fellow I may know from years gone by – I will attempt to reconnect) gave just a series of “bullet point” notes but very powerful stimulators of conversation including one of my favorite controversial topics – should beer be local only? One of my own pieces bears on this – the now full-issue printing BA Guide to the Quality of Craft Beer in Trade where I discuss how beer deteriorates rapidly in transport unless very carefully managed (just out this month) and the recent issue on the Brewers Association forums about growlers and reuse. His other points were of interest and maybe covered on his blog site. Either way you will find a lot of stimulating pieces I think at his site.

Jeremy Cowan of Shmaltz Brewing, author of Craft Beer Bar Mitzvah, craftily and very amusingly tells his (self-touted) and bizarre story of how he, knowing nothing himself about brewing, built up a wonderful $3.5M new brewery after “killing” (or maybe my side of the story stealing – hi to Paul here) a contract brewer and whose beers are now gaining more widespread distribution, including right here in KY. I had heard Jeremy regale a full account of the story in Denver last year and he is one very funny and savvy SOB (Sensationally Observant or Obstinate Brewing Marketer - my takeaway on this) whose tragic/comedic rise to fame is covered in the book. Of many books on how to start a brewery, this could be the only one you need to see if you have what it takes to do so.

Mitch Steel was due to talk on IPA, and I know many homebrewers likely attended just to hear Mitch. I have also known Mitch many, many years and heard him speak before at our professional brewers meetings, so I know you missed a good talk yesterday. That said I applaud him for not travelling and attending to his family and ask you all keep him in your thoughts. See Stan’s blog (above) for a bit of dialog on this including Mitch’s apology for not attending. In his absence, I only just bought my copy of his book, where you will get a great account of what he would have covered: IPA: Brewing Techniques, Recipes and the Evolution of India Pale Ale, from Brewers Publications. There will be other opportunities to hear Mitch talk at Craft Brewers Conferences for those at the pro-level of brewing.

Finally we heard from -- and I had the pleasure to introduce -- Garrett Oliver; friend, fellow beer judge, client and editor of the dozen or so articles he requested from us for the esteemed Oxford Companion to Beer. With his reach and publications, I think Garrett needed no introduction and many attended to hear him from the perspective of brewing and his beer, food and cultural writings. He informed us of where to look for writings on beer and food and encouraged us to stimulate the conversations in the mainstream press by responding to articles, commentaries and on-line posts. Newspapers only write more about those topics that their reader EXPRESS an interest in. Reading and not responding is not an option if you want the press to expound more on a topic of interest. Important for giants like the New York Times, but also for our more local press. Where was Lee Cruze yesterday from LEX 18 news? Where were the local press during the Mission Small Business campaign a few years ago? It is up to us to follow good writing and encourage more of it. Garrett conveyed the power of emotion and detail and reminded us all that (as for everything) in the end its all about people! That’s what really matters!

We heard many lessons about good writing and its influence and impact from all the speakers and we all learned more than we can ever simply retell in short blurbs like mine here, but I’ll finish with a point that I think sums up the way true writing is supposed to be, gleaned after Julie showed us a photo of Jack McAuliffe.

My take: A picture paints a thousand words, but can a writer can describe that picture in words and bring it powerfully, truthfully, colorfully and emotively to life in the “minds-eye." That is the power of storytelling – no? Sometimes, of course, it needs to be told in black and white.

The picture of Jack was presented (at least) twice in the various morning sessions, and one of the speakers quoted someone describing the scene. It was that description that led to my "a ha" moment and my statement above. I think that was what all our speakers were trying to portray (Garrett’s tears included) about good writing as involving the telling of stories. It was, for me, and I think all the attendees a day well spent.

---

* Gary might be referring to the Great American Beer Festival here?

1 comment:

Gary Spedding, Ph.D. said...

Roger - thanks for the kind words. I try to write well but not my forte. And thanks for posting my comments at your site. That is an honor for me.It would be nice to see where we agree and disagree on a number of issues. I think agreement more likely from what you spoke of on Saturday.