Sunday, March 17, 2013

Sun King's Clay Robinson: "We want full transparency so consumers know when they’re getting a true craft beer."

Sun King Brewing's co-founder, Clay Robinson, speaks to "craft versus crafty" in an excellent essay at the IndyStar. It reads to me like a state of the union address from the Brewers of Indiana Guild's next president; the annual meeting is in April, and I have to think Clay gets the nod if that's what he wants.

Competition makes Indy's beer better on St. Patrick's Day, by Clay Robinson (at IndyStar)

When I first got into making beer for a living, my reasons were simple: I wanted a job that would accept me as I am (I didn’t want to cut my hair or shave), and I wanted to end each day drinking good beer that I helped create. I didn’t plan to become a brewery owner, and I certainly never thought we would one day be on the radar of companies like Anheuser-Busch InBev and MillerCoors.

My partners and I opened Sun King Brewery in 2009. Over the past several years our business has grown beyond our biggest hopes. Meanwhile, the craft brewing industry got big enough that the giant beer conglomerates couldn’t ignore us. In fact, these days, they’re spending a lot of money trying to beat us.

No comments: