Friday, April 08, 2011

Drew Scharlow is in the Irish Exit kitchen, and that is a good thing.

I didn’t know Drew was working at Irish Exit, either – until a friend sent this glowing review. New Albanians, take note: Downtown options just keep getting better, seeing as the Irish Exit already has the biggest beer list downtown.

(Slightly edited by me)

Yesterday I had the opportunity to be one of the first lunchtime customers for the new Irish Pub in New Albany, a.k.a. The Irish Exit. I was told by one of the owners that Tuesday, 3-29-11 was their opening day as a lunch establishment there in New Albany.

Upon arrival, we were immediately greeted by one of the managers and his bartender. They suggested a few of their 15 draft brews so we hoisted a few Smethwick’s, downed a Classic Rueben (my friend’s choice) and Irish Chicken Melt (my choice), shared a bowl of garlic parmesan frites and had a very productive first meeting. Our meal was fabulous and I later found out that my guest personally knew the Executive Chef there, Drew Scharlow – he did not realize Drew was working there at the time! Before we left to go our separate ways, Drew showed us his latest edible creation…it involves fried oysters and other secret ingredients…and it looks nothing like what you’d expect to see being served at a traditional Irish Pub. So, watch out Irish Rover, Flannigan’s, O’Shea’s, Molly Malone, Tilted Kilt and ri ra’s…there’s a new leprechaun in town and his gold ‘cooking’ pot is on the Sunny Side of the River!

I see good times happening at this place because their drink list is phenomenally special and the daily drink specials are not to shabby either! Check out the place the next time you are in New Albany during the lunch hour and you’re mouth is a wee bit parched from your travels. The breads and circuses at this place are 3.5 stars in my book, and their frites are BIG & TASTY with just the right amount of grease left on them!

Take care and let’s make it a great day!

1 comment:

Native city dweller said...

Absolutely hands down the best food this side of the river. Of course, I may be a wee bit predjudiced. Brenda Scharlow "MOM"