Wednesday, March 30, 2016

"I don't want to open a brewery."



Follows an uncommonly well-stated cautionary tale.


I Don't Want to Open a Brewery (And Maybe You Shouldn't Either) at Beer Simple

If you brew beer, it's only a matter of time before you get this question: "So, when are you opening a brewery of your own?" For me, there's a simple (of course) answer: "Never."


Especially this. Trust me. You'll never have enough money, especially if it takes a while to get on track.


This is all, admittedly, just a layperson's perspective, but I've known, overheard, interviewed, and observed a lot of new brewery owners over the past several years. Some are succeeding despite their individual limitations - but a lot are struggling and/or failing because of them, too. Maybe you'll get lucky. Maybe you'll be able to fix things on the fly. But if it were me, I don't want this to come down to luck, and at least one local brewery recently went under because they were doing a little too much learning "on the job" and ran out of money before they could get things back on track. Don't let it happen to you. You might never get another shot at this, so make it a good one.


The worst shading of reality is the very middle. If you're too good to fail but not good enough to succeed ... it's very, very hard.

___

No comments: