Monday, February 18, 2008

Good beer, good food, a thread and a beer dinner at Corbett's.

I'll try to make a long story short.

Earlier this year, there was a spirited discussion at Robin Garr's Louisville Restaurants Forum: Can a great restaurant serve mass-market beer? This was followed by an article here at PC. Here's the link, followed by an excerpt:

A thread: Can a great restaurant serve mass-market beer?

Can you give me some examples of what would be high quality beers that should be served at a high quality restaurant?

I've thought about this a lot at various times, and the answer tends to change based on recent experiences. The fundamental thing is to offer a variety of styles, not just a variety of labels/brands. Knowing the difference between styles and labels is the first jumping off point for me.

I'm returning to this thread for two reasons. First, my current commission for "Food & Dining" magazine is to write 900 words on the topic, so I've been reviewing source materials.

Second, there is to be a beer dinner March 4 at Corbett's "An American Place", a new restaurant in Louisville that somewhat inadvertently was drawn into the original thread about good beer and good food.

PR: Belgian beer dinner March 4 @ Corbett's (forum posting)

Corbett's "An American Place" invites you to an evening of Belgian Ales and lambics paired with Chef Chris Howerton’s cuisine. Hosted by Pete Larsen of Wetten Imports.

Tuesday March 4th at 7 p.m.
Reservations 327-5058
5050 Norton Healthcare Boulevard

The cost of this one is $55 per person plus gratuity, and I don't yet have a food menu, but Wetten has excellent Belgians: The Delirium line, Gouden Carolus ales and Kasteels.

Looks like another combination of business and pleasure coming my way. Aw, shucks.

No comments: