Friday, September 28, 2012

R.I.P., Matt Gould.

It's a very sad day for the Louisville craft brewing scene. Matt "Brew Boy" Gould has passed away after battling cancer for many months. He was a Cubs fan, a fellow curmudgeon, and a thoughtful, gentle soul.

Matt was part of beer around here for as long as I can remember, first at the Silo, then Bluegrass Brewing Company (St. Matthews), and perhaps most notably as founding brewer at Cumberland Brews. Later he returned to BBC at the beer corner of Clay & Main.

As Joel Halbleib has noted, Matt was a Louisville brewing legend. Lots of folks will be out and about tonight, all around the city, taking part in Louisville Craft Beer Week events on the fest's final weekend. It's a safe bet that not all of them ever knew of Matt, or understand how important he was in furthering the craft beer revolution hereabouts.

So, let it be known. Please hoist a pint to Matt's memory tonight.

From "The Parting Glass" (Scots/Irish traditional song)

Of all the money e'er I had,
I spent it in good company.
And all the harm I've ever done,
Alas! it was to none but me.
And all I've done for want of wit
To mem'ry now I can't recall
So fill to me the parting glass
Good night and joy be with you all

Oh, all the comrades e'er I had,
They're sorry for my going away,
And all the sweethearts e'er I had,
They'd wish me one more day to stay,
But since it falls unto my lot,
That I should rise and you should not,
I gently rise and softly call,
That I should go and you should not,
Good night and joy be with you all.

No comments: