Monday, December 13, 2010

Office Hours without me tonight? Weigh in, please.

I'll begin by reiterating that the general public always is welcome to attend our Monday evening Office Hours tastings. This said, there's a core group of 10-12 in attendance on most Mondays at 6:30 p.m.

I'm addressing this post to you, the regulars. Can you taste without me tonight?

During the fall term, we've been inching forward, through the Beer Judge Certification Program style guidelines, with an eye toward tasting examples of as many styles as possible now (and forward into next Spring).

Tonight, after one postponement already owing to last week's seating conflict, we're to consider Russian Imperial Stout.

Overall Impression:
An intensely flavored, big, dark ale. Roasty, fruity, and bittersweet, with a noticeable alcohol presence. Dark fruit flavors meld with roasty, burnt, or almost tar-like sensations. Like a black barleywine with every dimension of flavor coming into play.

Here's the problem ... or the opportunity.

As most of you know, I've been putting a disproportionate amount of time into the anti-bridge-tolls insurgency, and today is the final "public input" meeting with the group that we've come to address (not lovingly) as the Tolling Authority. It's from 4:00 - 7:00 p.m. this afternoon, in downtown Louisville at the Muhammad Ali Center.

Also, as most of you know, I write a regular Thursday column for the New Albany Tribune. The deadline is Tuesday morning at 10:00 a.m.

There's also a NA-FC School Board meeting tonight, and another in a series of contestable measures being floated by the commander in chief. There's no way I can attend both meetings, but there'll be blogging to coordinate afterward.

In short, my community activism needs to take precedence tonight; given the slowless with which I write, making that deadline tomorrow morning after beginning at 9:00 p.m. would be challenging. Obviously, I feel badly about skipping out on Office Hours tonight, or else I wouldn't bother explaining.

BUT ... there's really no reason why "Office Hours Without the Publican," and tonight's Russian Imperial Stout tasting, cannot go on as originally planned. Ben and Eric can set it up just like they always do, and Rick might easily lead the discussion.

Unless the group feels differently, I suggest you carry on tonight without me, and I'll listen to the audio afterward. Thoughts?

1 comment:

Rick500 said...

Sure, I'll be there. Not one to miss imperial stouts.