Friday, October 10, 2014

Diary: It's the little things that matter, like APA with claypot catfish.

At Bank Street Brewhouse, we do what we can during the annual time of affliction in downtown New Albany, otherwise known as Harvest Homecoming. NABC promotes Fringe Fest, which in essence is our protest at downtown being taken over by a demographic more suited to the state fair in it most elemental form. You can call Harvest Homecoming family-oriented; I'll call it lowest common denominator. Fringe Fest is an alternative to the drollery.

But I digress.

About the only thing Harvest Homecoming and Fringe Fest have in common is the weather. If it's nice outside, everyone does well. If it rains, crowds naturally diminish. The forecast on Friday called for rain all day long, and by about 5:00 p.m., this prediction was being fulfilled. The missus and I made an Irish exit and went out for dinner.

These days, especially since she accepted a new job on the Indiana side of the river in Jeffersonville, we go to Louisville quite seldom. But in this instance, both of us were craving Vietnamese, and while there are a few highly regarded newer Vietnamese eateries, our choice was the tried and true original Indochinese destination, Vietnam Kitchen.

I've written about Vietnam Kitchen in the past. It isn't a good beer place by any stretch, but the food is transcendent (surely K-8 is among the top dishes in town), and lately, there'll be nice surprises on the beer list -- not extreme, but appropriate. On Friday, on the handwritten tab beneath the glass table top, "Sierra Nevada Pale Ale" was written. It had been a while, and so I had one with my meal.

I have no idea where it was brewed; Chico or Asheville or Port au Prince. It tasted as pleasant as I remembered it, and accompanied the sublime K-8 as well as I'd imagined. When everything's an IPA, it's a pleasure to have a beer that's an American Pale Ale in the class sense of a yardstick, one able to complement the food and neither overwhelm it nor be subordinated itself.

That said, I really like what David Pierce and my brewers are doing with NABC's Action! APA. But for one night at Vietnam Kitchen, the quintessential Sierra Nevada worked well for me.

No comments: