Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Teaching craft beer advocates how to relate to people?

If you're interested in craft beer reaching that next ten percentile, listen to Professor Alda. Thanks to MC for the link.

Professor Alan Alda teaches scientists how to speak (at CBS Sunday Morning)

At 77, Alan Alda the actor has become Alan Alda the real-life professor, teaching scientists how to relate to people in ways they can actually understand.

"You don't think of knowledge as a curse, but it's a curse if I think you know everything I know and I talk to you in ways [where] you can't understand me," Alda said. "So that's not only the public, that's policy makers like Congress, who have told me over and over again they cannot understand scientists who come in to talk to them."

"So a scientist comes in, testifies on Capitol Hill, Congress doesn't know what he or she's talking about?" said Smith.

"Why would you give money to somebody whose work you don't understand?" Alda asked.

No comments: