Friday, May 30, 2014

Offensive to the senses, but too legit to quit.

Every once in a while, a customer will make a comment to the effect that "this place smells awful." It boggles my mind; after all, I've relied on my nose to lead me to breweries on more than one occasion, pre-iPhone. I'm guessing that the law in question originally derived more from Indiana's fabled prohibitionistic instinct than actual odor, and reflected a pattern of harassment not unlike that practiced by the Floyd County Health Department of today.

Sobering discovery: Most Indy microbreweries in violation, by John Tuohy, The Indianapolis Star

INDIANAPOLIS – They’re a “nuisance,” on par with slaughterhouses, tanneries, glue factories, bone factories or tallow chandleries.

They’re as “offensive to the senses” as a starch factory, foundry or fertilizer plant.

They need to be a safe distance from populated areas, hospitals, children and parks.

What is this public health scourge?

Microbreweries.

1 comment:

Rick500 said...

I've heard a few people say they don't like the aroma of beer being brewed. I just do NOT get that. The scent is predominantly cooking barley. I understand it's a subjective thing, but how can a person strongly dislike the scent of cooking barley? It smells great. Don't get it. Don't get it at all.